Tuesday 3 February 2009


Am v pleased with self ..yes self made good...
made good candied ginger
And self made ginger syrup!
Both influenced,copied ,stolen,learnt...compliments of David lebovitz.
I don,t know which is tastier the candy or syrup-both are super easy to make
and muy rico(delicious)
I used different quantities because I had less ginger..In the future I´m gonna double,triple it
Here be the recipe:
300g ginger(peeled and cut into matchsticks or sliced thinly)
500g sugar
600ml water
In a stainless steel pot cover ginger with water and boil for ten minutes-drain,and then repeat the process .
Put the sugar,water and ginger in the pot with a pinch of salt and cook until it reaches 225F.
I had no idea what was 225F,so I let it simmer away and then did my jam test...which is put a blob of syrup on a plate and leave to cool a little..he says until it reaches the consistency of runny honey.
Then I jarred the syrup and left the ginger in a colander for a while to leave excess syrup drip away.
Next step I coated the candied ginger with loads and loads of granulated sugar...y voila!
David always says he´s his mother´s son and hates waste...well how´s this:I saved the skin off the ginger to pop into chai tea(I freezed it)and the boiling water I used as stock for a pumpkin soup.
YES,SELF IS VERY PLEASED and wishes to blow her own trumpet.thank you to people like David Lebovitz for such easy to follow recipes and to self for trying

No comments:

Post a Comment